How Does Cryotherapy Work?
Cryotherapy is the use of extremely cold temperatures at minus 110 degree celsius to aid in the treatment of a wide range of injuries and conditions.
Cryotherapy works by cooling the entire skin surface; this stimulates the temperature receptors in the skin to communicate with the brain resulting in constriction of the peripheral blood vessels redirecting the blood to the core of the body to conserve heat.
Once the treatment is over the same blood is pumped vigorously back around the body. The enhanced blood supply that Whole Body Cryotherapy stimulates increases the oxygen and nutrient supply to areas that need revitalizing.
- Increased recovery time from injuries
- Enhancement of sporting performance
- Increased recovery time from intense exercise
- Overall faster return to training
- Reduction of pain and swelling
- Reduction in regeneration phase
- Reduction of post traumatic treatment
- Health Benefits
- Joint Disorders
- Stress & Anxiety
- Muscular Spasm
- Chronic Pain
Thousands of people have used Whole Body Cryotherapy safely and effectively in Europe. The atmosphere of the chamber is dry cold so it is more tolerable and pleasant for the individual.
1. Clients must fill in a screening form before commencing the treatment.
2. Each client will then have their heart rate and blood pressure taken.
4. Each client will be provided with gloves, headband, and mask.
3. Each client must wear shorts long socks and runners, ladies may wear a bikini top or singlet.
€35 per Session (approx 15 minutes per treatment includes induction, screening & 3minute session in the Cryo Chamber)
€90 for 3 Sessions in the one day (depending on level of injury)
We offer group discounted rates based on requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions for Cryotherapy
- Is Cryo for sports people only or can Cryo be used for other conditions other than sports injuries?
Cryotherapy has been proven to help many conditions such as arthritis, stress, anxiety and much more (Please see brochure).
- Do I go in by myself or with others?
When you book in for Cryotherapy you may be booked in with someone else. We can put up to four clients at a time through Cryotherapy. People often find the procedure easier when doing the 3 minute session with others.
- Can I go in with crutches or a cast?
It is no problem to go in with crutches or a cast.
- Is there an age limit to use Cryo?
We allow people as young as 14 yrs old to use Cryo. Clients under 18 yrs old must be accompanied by an adult.
- How many Cryo sessions do I need to do?
It is recommended for clients to do 3 sessions of Cryotherapy in the one day. This is to make sure you get maximum benefit from the treatment. You may do 3 sessions a day for up to four days. Each client will differ depending on the extent of the injury or condition and their own reasons for using the treatment.
- How long do I need to leave between each session?
You must leave two hours between each session but you may leave longer if it is needed.
- What can I do between sessions?
The only restrictions between sessions are not to use the sauna, steam room or Jacuzzi if you are using the Cryotherapy for injuries. We recommend against this as there is an extreme temperature difference and will counter act the cold treatment.You may use the gym, the hotel also boasts excellent bar food and restaurant and as we are in the centre of town there is plenty to do.
- Can I stay longer than 3 minutes?
No, for health and safety reasons 3 minutes is the maximum time allowed.
- Can I come out of the treatment before the 3 minutes is up?
Yes you may leave the Cryotherapy rooms before 3 minutes if you are uncomfortable with the treatment.
- How often can I use Cryo?
You may use Cryo as often as you feel necessary. Clients may do 3 sessions each day for 4 days. The amount of Cryo treatments necessary will depend on your reason for using Cryo.
- Can I use the thermal suite and get treatments while I am there.
You may get treatments in the spa but you must be completely dry of all oils before you use the Cryotherapy, so we would recommend these after your treatments.
- Can I use the treatment if I have pins or plates?
Metal pins and plates are fine once they are under the skin. Metal plates that are outside the skin surface may be a contra-indication.
- What will I feel during and after Cryo?
The client should feel numbness in the legs and tingling in the skin after they come out of the chamber this should subside after about 2-3 minutes. Some clients may feel a sensation of heat coming back into the arms and legs this is normal and is only the blood returning to the limbs.
Articles on Cryotherapy
Click here to read one of our latest article's on Cryotheraphy in Whites of Wexford.
Click here to read an article on the Cryotherapy Clinic published in the Irish Times (Health & Family), September 2013
“Cryotherapy helped speed up the recovery of both hamstring and groin tear. Felt fresh and energetic afterwards and slept well really well. Use of the Cryotherapy significantly reduced level of pain from both injuries”. Pain relief was major benefit of using the Cryotherapy, recovery time accelerated hugely now I have a good chance of playing in the next two weeks” “over the moon with the results”.
Harry Kehoe, Wexford County Hurler May 2013
“Felt much better after Cryotherapy and found the whole experience very beneficial to both my injury and body in general”.
Stephen Murphy, Wicklow County Footballer, May 2013